Android resource linking failed

from the CommonsWare Community archives

At October 20, 2021, 2:30pm, Raptor asked:

So I have this error that is driving me crazy:

> Task :app:processProductionDebugResources FAILED
AGPBI: {"kind":"error","text":"Android resource linking failed","sources":[{"file":"C:\\myproject\\app\\build\\intermediates\\incremental\\mergeProductionDebugResources\\merged.dir\\values\\values.xml","position":{"startLine":7150}}],"original":"C:\\myproject\\app\\build\\intermediates\\incremental\\mergeProductionDebugResources\\merged.dir\\values\\values.xml:7151: AAPT: error: resource attr/description

This points to random attrs, like this:

<declare-styleable name="ProductDetailMFSItemView">
        **<attr name="description"/>**
        <attr name="value"/>
    </declare-styleable>

I have no idea why it doesn’t work or how can I find more information on what’s going on. It’s driving me nuts. It’s also an older project that I haven’t opened in quite some time and now it throws errors like these.

At October 20, 2021, 7:11pm, mmurphy replied:

Since the error is coming from a file in build/, have you cleaned the project? Old build/ artifacts might confuse newer build tools.

At October 21, 2021, 10:41am, Raptor replied:

I deleted the build folder and put the attributes in the root xml tag, now it says:

Execution failed for task ':app:mergeLibDexProductionDebug'.
> Could not resolve all files for configuration ':app:productionDebugRuntimeClasspath'.
   > Failed to transform cameraview.aar (project :cameraview) to match attributes {artifactType=android-dex, dexing-enable-desugaring=true, dexing-incremental-transform=false, dexing-is-debuggable=true, dexing-min-sdk=21, org.gradle.usage=java-runtime}.
      > Execution failed for AarToClassTransform:

At October 21, 2021, 11:56am, mmurphy replied:

Sorry, I have no real clue about that one. If cameraview is a third-party library, confirm that you’re on a modern version of the library. If cameraview is another module in your own project, can you build that module successfully on its own?

At October 21, 2021, 12:30pm, Raptor replied:

It seems to be both. I have another module in my project named “cameraview” AND a library.

The module (I think) is implemented like this:

api project(path: ':cameraview', configuration: 'default')

The library is this:

implementation 'com.otaliastudios:cameraview:2.0.0-beta04'

And yes, it’s a mess that I was forced into by… higher powers.

It now says:

> Could not resolve all files for configuration ':app:productionDebugRuntimeClasspath'.
   > Failed to transform cameraview.aar (project :cameraview) to match attributes {artifactType=android-dex, dexing-enable-desugaring=true, dexing-incremental-transform=false, dexing-is-debuggable=true, dexing-min-sdk=21, org.gradle.usage=java-runtime}.
      > Execution failed for AarToClassTransform: C:\AndroidProjects\project\cameraview\build\.transforms\4c15c0d9dc11026dbbf5fc750d89e609\jetified-cameraview-release.aar.
         > C:\AndroidProjects\project\cameraview\build\.transforms\4c15c0d9dc11026dbbf5fc750d89e609\jetified-cameraview-release.aar

At October 21, 2021, 12:50pm, mmurphy replied:

My guess is that your errors from this post and the preceding one are referring to your modules, as both have (project :cameraview) in the messages.

The jetified in jetified-cameraview-release.aar suggests that this module may be using older Android Support Library dependencies that are being converted on the fly into Jetpack library references. I don’t know if that is directly tied to whatever the root problem is, though.

I am sorry that I have not been of greater help on this!