Biometric(fingerprint) development from scratch

from the CommonsWare Community archives

At October 28, 2019, 7:54pm, kaushik.rpk asked:

Hi I am new user here. I am working on Android app in which I am planning to add Android Bio-metric for fingerprint initially and later on face unlock. I am not sure where to start as I don’t see any guide on google developer website. I also don’t see bio-metric chapter in busy coder book. Can any one guide me on it? ( I am unable to find Android development category, due to it this question goes into CWAC. )

At October 28, 2019, 8:19pm, mmurphy replied:

At October 28, 2019, 8:23pm, mmurphy replied:

I am unable to find Android development category

You never requested access to that category. I found your subscriber record, granted you access to this category, and moved this question to that category.

I also don’t see bio-metric chapter in busy coder book.

See the chapter on device authentication and the chapter on the keystore. I also have some material on it in Elements of Android Q related to the changes in Android 10.

At November 20, 2019, 4:18pm, kaushik.rpk replied:

@mmurphy is BioMetricPrompt will identify automatically about what kind of biometric user have setup in device and popups the prompt accordingly? like (Fingerprint, face unlock), or do developer validate through development and prompt ?My main priority is to develop face unlock.

At November 20, 2019, 10:46pm, mmurphy replied:

is BioMetricPrompt will identify automatically about what kind of biometric user have setup in device and popups the prompt accordingly?

That is the intention. I have only used it with fingerprint sensors, though.

At August 30, 2020, 2:30am, kaushik.rpk replied:

Whoever is coming to this thread. I have created kotlin based POC for this scenario using BiompetricPromptManager API to help the community as the documentation for this use case is not properly written at google website. This demo will detect biometric change as well and support fingerprint and face recognition. Here is a Github link for a repository.