Custom Permissions

I am trying to figure out a way to handle an incoming broadcast inside App B. I want to make sure that it will only continue if it is originally broadcast from App A. I found a bunch of resources, the clearest of which was this article:

The thing that I am unclear on, in terms of using custom permissions, is where do I define the permission (App A or B) and where/how do I request the permission (App A or B). And how does this setup prevent App C from a malicious source from just requesting the same permission.

I am sure I am just missing something simple, but I can’t see it.

Also, I am not against using the same certificate/signature for permissions, since I am the developer of both App A and B, but I want to understand this first.

Thanks!

Android is not particularly good at this.

IIRC, on Android 5.0+ you would need to have an identical <permission> element in both apps, and both apps would need to be signed by the same signing key. You need the <permission> in both as you do not necessarily know what order these apps are installed in. The same-signing-key restriction was added to Android 5.0 to combat some security flaws with apps redefining other apps’ permissions.

In your scenario, B would have a <receiver> with android:permission for your custom permission. A would have <uses-permission> for that custom permission. And, you would want the <permission> to have a protectionLevel of signature, so that only your apps can hold that permission.

The protectionLevel of signature would require the developer of App C to have your signing key and whatever password you used to protect it. Hire a ninja to defend the signing key. :sweat_smile:

Thank you!! So it sounds like it isn’t advisable/possible to do this without the signature protectionLevel?

Well, that gets directly to your App C concern. If you want to block App C from talking to App B, you are going to need to secure the broadcast with a permission that App C cannot hold. That eliminates normal and dangerous permissions, and signature is the only other option available to app developers.

Thanks! Another quick question. How do these permissions work with debug. Currently I am testing both App A and App B in debug mode, do I need to push both to release to truly test it?

In terms of functionality, permissions are independent of build type. Permissions do not behave differently because you are in a release build than in a debug build.

However, for custom permissions, you cannot have both a traditional debug build and a release build installed at the same time defining the same permission, as they will not be signed by the same signing key by default. Options include:

• Using manifest placeholders (e.g., ${applicationId}) to customize the permission name, the way that we use them for customizing authorities in <provider> elements
  • Just not having both debug and release installed at the same time
  • Signing the debug build with your release signing key