How to implement Search?

from the CommonsWare Community archives

At May 10, 2018, 3:29am, Shahood asked:

Hello,

I have recently completed the chapter Advanced ActionBar Techniques where the focus was on how to implement a SearchView widget in ActionBar. Is it all this book tells about how to implement a “Search interface”? Upon making a quick search in ePub version of the book, that’s pretty much what the book covers…there is full text search in advanced databases but it’s not about search interface.
There is a whole guide by Google on How to implement a Search Interface and I think there should similarly be a whole dedicated chapter covering searchable configuration, implementing search through a search dialog, implementing search suggestions, voice search etc.
If it’s already there, pl point me to it; otherwise kindly consider my suggestion. Such a detailed and content rich book can’t be expected to miss out on such an essential area.

Thanks

At May 10, 2018, 10:59am, mmurphy replied:

There is a whole guide by Google on How to implement a Search Interface

That guide is very old.

I think there should similarly be a whole dedicated chapter covering searchable configuration, implementing search through a search dialog, implementing search suggestions, voice search etc.

I do not know what portion of that guide is still relevant in modern versions of Android. AFAICT, most of search nowadays on Android is tied into the proprietary Google Assistant.

I used to have a search chapter. I pulled it a few years ago, as it (like the guide) was out of date. Grab a copy of Version 6.5 of the book from the Four-to-Free Guarantee page, as the chapter is still in there.